We scoured the market and ultimately determined that the best Apple HomeKit Thermostat is the EcoBee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control. We chose this particular smart thermostat as our Editor's Choice because we think it offers the best mix of design, features, and functionality at a price-point that remains competitive in the market.
The runner-up pick for a new thermostat with HomeKit compatibility is Honeywell's T9 Smart Thermostat. This higher-end thermostat from Honeywell offers high compatibility, an easy setup, and advanced features like auto home/away mode and multi-room focus via an optional add-on room sensor.
The best affordable HomeKit thermostat is the iDevices Smart Thermostat. Priced under $100, this smart programmable thermostat offers competitive features including voice control, remote access, and HomeKit compatibility without the need for an additional hub, but isn't the most appealing design to look at.
- Save up to 26% annually on heating and cooling costs
- Included SmartSensor for extended room monitoring
- Comes with Siri and Alexa Built-in
- Will pause if door or window is open
- Integrates with your preferred smart home system
- Energy Star certified
- Auto home & away mode
- Multi-room focus with optional room sensors
- Compatible with most HVAC systems
- Simple setup and installation
- Compatible with most HVAC systems
- Voice control over Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant
- Remote access and monitoring available from anywhere
- No additional hub or hardware required
- Offers a 2-year warranty with US based support
- The Best Apple HomeKit Thermostats in 2022
- Are Nest thermostats HomeKit compatible? Why Are They Not on the List?
- What Are Some Benefits of HomeKit Thermostats?
- Ending Summary
Smart home technology is a highly trending industry in recent years with systems like Apple's Homekit, Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, and Amazon's Alexa dominating the scene. In most cases, switching from a traditional device to smart devices that have Wi-Fi functionality to make your home smart isn't all that difficult in terms of the installation process and the features.
By integrating into a smart home hub such as Apple's HomeKit (coupled with Apple HomeKit compatible devices), you'll gain access to voice assistants like Siri while being able to create schedules and quickly assume control using devices within the Apple ecosystem like your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch or Mac computer.
There are many ways to add new smart functionality to the day-to-day home tasks such as integrated smart control of your lightbulbs (Philips Hue), HVAC system, blinds, and more. As for the HVAC system, this is one area where you'll not only add convenience and comfort to your everyday life but in almost all cases, investing in one of the smart thermostats available is going to be cost-effective and save money over time compared to other thermostats.
If you're looking for a new thermostat that is compatible with Apple HomeKit, then you'll want to read on. In this article, we will be discussing the best HomeKit thermostats on the market as of 2022. We'll be covering a range of different thermostats, from budget-friendly options to more high-end models. So whether you're looking to save on your energy bills or just have some extra convenience and control over your home's climate by making your home smarter, we've got you covered.
The Best Apple HomeKit Thermostats in 2022
- Save up to 26%*per year on heating and cooling costs. ENERGY STARcertified....
- Included SmartSensor keeps you comfortable where you are, not just where...
- Control from anywhere with your iOS or Android device
- Integrates seamlessly with your preferred smart home system.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control
Ecobee's Smart Thermostat is a HomeKit compatible thermostat that will learn your particular routine to adjust temperatures accordingly. Home security mode adds additional protection to offer better efficiency to your smart home by pausing heating or cooling whenever there is an open door or window.
The Ecobee app is integrated with Apple HomeKit to allow for Siri integration for voice commands as well as seamless connectivity with other smart home systems such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Ecobee thermostats are backed by Amazon, so they are constantly updated with new features and offer the reliability you'd expect from a big-name company.
Beyond the standard thermostat hardware, this model comes with a SmartSensor. This is a room sensor and smart device that can monitor the temperature in another part of your home and help the thermostat automatically set adequate settings to keep your house feeling comfortable.
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED. See your energy use in the Monthly Energy Report,...
- SAVE ENERGY AND GET REWARDED by checking with your energy provider about...
- AUTO HOME AND AWAY MODE. Adjust your thermostat from anywhere with your...
- MULTI-ROOM FOCUS. Add Smart Room Sensors to focus the temperature on...
Honeywell T9 Smart Thermostat
The Honeywell Home T9 is a WiFi smart thermostat certified by ENERGY STAR. It allows you to see your energy usage in the Monthly Energy Report and helps save even more energy with a schedule that adapts to your lifestyle. You can also adjust your thermostat from anywhere with your mobile device, or let your home automatically react to your schedule with geofencing. The T9 also has a multi-room focus, so you can add Smart Room Sensors to focus the temperature on multiple rooms.
The T9 is compatible with most HVAC systems using forced air (gas, oil, or electric), hot water and steam, and heat pumps with electric backup but does not work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V). Before purchasing the T9, do some diligence to ensure that it is compatible with your home and whether you'll need a C-wire power adapter.
It is worth noting that Apple's HomeKit native integration did not ship with this thermostat at its initial launch, but it has since been added as a part of a free firmware update. If you don't see HomeKit options upon installation, be sure to update the device.
- COMPATIBILITY: Works with most heating and cooling systems; all systems...
- VOICE CONTROL: Responds to Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant voice commands...
- ACCESS ANYWHERE: Control and monitor the iDevices Thermostat from anywhere...
- NO HUB REQUIRED: With the iDevices Thermostat, a home Wi-Fi network and a...
iDevices Smart Thermostat
The iDevices Smart Thermostat is a great choice for those looking for a thermostat that is compatible with Apple HomeKit. The thermostat is easy to set up and can be controlled from anywhere using an iOS or Android device. Additionally, the thermostat features voice control capabilities via popular voice assistants (like Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, and Google Assistant), and comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
From a design aesthetic, it is not a great-looking thermostat compared to the higher-priced models listed alongside this guide. However, at a savings of almost half the price of the other models, this thermostat is a great choice if you're on a tight budget, and would like to make your home a little smarter while maintaining HomeKit compatibility.
- ENERGY STAR certified. Help save energy, track your heating and cooling...
- Save Energy and Get Rewarded by checking with your energy provider about...
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control...
- The T5 Smart thermostat is fully compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple...
Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
The Honeywell Lyric T5 is a smart thermostat that is compatible with a variety of smart home ecosystems, including Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Cortana.
It can schedule temperatures for the week or based on your location (GeoFencing), and also features adaptive recovery that will learn how long it takes to achieve the desired temperature and automatically run your system to get to the temperature you want. Additionally, it is ENERGY STAR certified and helps save energy by tracking heating and cooling usage with monthly reports.
- EDITORS CHOICE BEST OVERALL SMART THERMOSTAT by USA Today’s...
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: By adjusting the temperature using flexible...
- MOST INSTALL IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS**: Use the built-in level, illuminated...
- SMART HOME COMPATIBLE: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple...
EMERSON Sensi Touch Smart Thermostat
The Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is an Apple HomeKit compatible thermostat that can save you up to 23% on your HVAC energy usage. It is easy to install, and you can control it from anywhere using the Sensi mobile app.
It also has features like smart maintenance and remote access. Another added benefit is the company offers privacy protection which ensures that Sensi won't sell any of your personal information to third parties which is, unfortunately, common for this type of smart home accessory.
- Save up to 23% annually on heating and cooling costs (compared to a hold of...
- Control from anywhere using your Android or iOS device
- Add SmartSensor to manage hot or cold spots and deliver enhanced comfort to...
- Automatically pauses your heating or cooling when a door or window is left...
EcoBee Lite SmartThermostat
The Ecobee Lite SmartThermostat is a sleek, energy-efficient thermostat that can save you up to 23% on your heating and cooling costs each year. It is the younger sibling to our Editor's Choice, the Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control at a cheaper price without the support for voice assistants, presence detection, a built-in speaker or included SmartSensor.
It can be controlled remotely with Android or iOS devices, and can also be integrated into a smart home system. There are advanced scheduling features to help Additionally, the Ecobee Lite can detect when someone is in the room and automatically adjust the temperature to their preferences.
Are Nest thermostats HomeKit compatible? Why Are They Not on the List?
Nest thermostats do not offer HomeKit integration natively but can be made to work with HomeKit by using a software home bridge on your computer. Alternatively, you can purchase a HomeBridge Hub device that uses a plug-and-play operation.
- Starling Home Hub allows you to connect your Apple Home app or Siri on...
- Starling Home Hub allows complete Nest device control; Nest Thermostat,...
- Take smart home integration to the next level with powerful automations....
- Simply connect Starling Home Hub to a spare Ethernet port on your home...
Due to this, we haven't included any of the Nest thermostat models within the recommended list within the guide as their lack of native compatibility within the HomeKit ecosystem via the Nest app is a major issue for users who don't want the hassle of additional hubs, etc.
- No more programming: With Auto-Schedule, the Google Nest Learning...
- Home/Away Assist: don't heat or cool an empty home. Home/Away Assist...
- Remote control: Control your thermostat from anywhere using the Nest app.
- Know more, save more Check your Energy History to see how much energy you...
If you are a power user or technology-savvy enough for a more complex HomeKit setup then maybe you should be considering buying one of the Nest thermostats for your needs. However, for the original purpose of this article, we have only included other smart thermostats that natively offer built-in HomeKit support right out of the box without any additional hardware needed.
What Are Some Benefits of HomeKit Thermostats?
Offering HomeKit compatibility is one of the most requested features for anyone looking to build a modern smart home system and it often comes with the best thermostat models. Here are some of the differentiating features and added benefits from HomeKit
1. HomeKit thermostats are more efficient than traditional thermostats, which can save you money on your energy bills
Since HomeKit enabled thermostats are connected to Apple's HomeKit ecosystem, the app works more like a command center rather than an app on your phone. This means HomeKit-enabled thermostats can provide you with notifications when the temperature changes without you needing to open the app.
HomeKit thermostats can also help you understand how much energy savings you gain (which equates to more money in your pocket) compared to a traditional programmable thermostat by breaking the data down further.
2. HomeKit thermostats can be controlled remotely with your smartphone or tablet, so you can adjust the temperature even when you're not home
Since Apple HomeKit thermostats are technically smart thermostats, they have specific connective features that let you control them from anywhere. These thermostats also work with other HomeKit products you have in your smart home system, so you can conveniently control multiple HomeKit devices at once to make sure your home is comfortable.
3. HomeKit thermostats are compatible with a wide range of smart home devices, which means you can control your entire home's climate with just one app & communicate between devices
The interconnectivity of Apple HomeKit thermostats and HomeKit accessories you attach to your HomeKit system gives it the ability to communicate between HomeKit devices so they can work in tandem. For example, you can program your Apple HomeKit compatible thermostat to not continue to heat or cool your home if one of your window or door sensors is in an open state, thus saving on energy efficiency.
4. Some HomeKit thermostats come with built-in sensors that can detect whether someone is home or not, and adjust the temperature accordingly
While some non-HomeKit thermostats like the Nest Learning Thermostat do this, many of the best HomeKit thermostats will track your location via your Apple device and tell your HVAC systems to pause, resume or adjust their normal operation to help you save energy on your heating and cooling bills.
5. Many HomeKit thermostats have voice control capabilities, so you can adjust the temperature without ever having to fumble with any dials or mobile apps
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use Siri to control your HomeKit devices by just using your voice. This is a convenient feature, especially if your hands are full or if you just want to adjust the temperature quickly, on the fly.
In the end, there are a lot of Apple HomeKit friendly smart thermostats on the market, and determining which one to buy to replace an old thermostat is not always an easy task. However, taking the time to do your research (hopefully with our help) can allow you to make a wise investment that will pay for itself many times over time thanks to the increase in energy efficiency.
While all of the best HomeKit thermostats listed within this guide will be suitable for satisfactory usage, we think the best model overall is the EcoBee SmartThermostat with Voice Control which offers the ideal overall package in terms of design, features, and functionality for most consumers that are looking to purchase a new thermostat with built-in HomeKit compatibility.