Previously, I wrote an article on how to use a program to easily edit the Windows hosts file. Since I left all you Mac users in the dark, I decided I'll spill the beans on the easiest way to edit the hosts file while using a Mac computer. There is a piece of free software called TextWrangler that you will want to download in order to make future editing changes to the hosts file. Keep in mind you should be logged in under an admin account when completing the steps below for these changes to work properly.
- Once you have installed TextWrangler, you want to open your finder and select the ‘Go' menu. Then select the ‘Go to Folder' option.
- Type in “/etc” for the folder name and click ‘go'.
- It will now open the folder where the hosts file is located. You'll likely want put the finder into a “list” view and sort alphabetically as I find it easiest to locate the hosts file this way.
- Once you have pinpointed it, you'll want to right click – select ‘open with' – and choose ‘other…'. Find and choose ‘TextWrangler' from the menu and check the ‘always open with' box if you don't want to have to restart this whole process again in the future.
- After clicking open, you'll see a TextWrangler window pop up showing the current hosts file and its contents. Now it is time to make your necessary changes then click ‘file' – ‘save' to put your changes in effect.
- It may prompt you to authorize the changes and ask you to enter in your admin credentials.
- Once you have done so, your changes will take effect and you will have successfully edited your hosts file in only a few simple steps.
I hope you found this article to be useful and of value! Feel free to leave any questions or thoughts you may have in the comments below.
Photo Credit: Peter Ankerstål
As a graduate of the University of Massachusetts and our Managing Editor, Colt loves testing out the newest tech products/services. His goal is to help better educate other consumers to ensure the most satisfying purchases decisions on consumer electronics and services. When he is not working on creating new content, Colt enjoys spending time with his two Australian Shepherds, Mia and Zoey.