American Idol host Ryan Seacrest has officially jumped into the mobile hardware market with his company Typo Keyboards, who is set to launch their first keyboard case for the iPhone 5/5s. The celebrity decided to start the company and invest $1 million of his own money to solve a simple problem. According to reports, Ryan and many of his friends/colleagues had gotten into the habit of carrying around two phones and found it unreasonably impractical. The need for carrying two phones stemmed from the preference of using a BlackBerry or similar device with a physical keyboard for emails/texting and an iPhone for everything else.
This dilemma resulted in the Typo iPhone Keyboard case coming to fruition to offer a BlackBerry-style typing experience on the natively touchscreen iPhone 5/5s. The product has been in development for the last two years and pre-orders have now being taken at $99/per case. The case will début at CES 2014 and has an expected ship date of sometime next month (January 2014).
Here is what we know about the Typo iPhone 5/5s keyboard so far:
- Users have reported 50% faster typing with less mistakes
- The physical keyboard replaces the touch keyboard thus offering 40% more screen space
- A full backlit keyboard is present for low-light environments
- A LED battery indicator informs the user of battery life
- The built-in battery charges in less than an hour
- The keyboard features easy access to currency keys
- There is a custom TYPO smart auto-correct function geared specifically for this case
As a graduate of the University of Massachusetts and our Managing Editor, Colt loves testing out the newest tech products/services. His goal is to help better educate other consumers to ensure the most satisfying purchases decisions on consumer electronics and services. When he is not working on creating new content, Colt enjoys spending time with his two Australian Shepherds, Mia and Zoey.