Just yesterday we covered a story that focused on a new Pebble smartwatch and a leaked image that was found on the manufacturer's website prior to any announcements. As planned, this morning the company unveiled their newest model, dubbed ‘Pebble Time' on Kickstarter with an initial fundraising goal of $500K. Just 17 minutes later, the campaign had already raised its minimum goal amount and within 2 hours it had already raised over $3.5M.
The uploaded Kickstarter video summarizes all the new changes found within the new generation, but here's a brief summary taken from the campaign page:
- We're announcing a new watch called Pebble Time with a new timeline interface.
- Pebble Time features a new color e-paper display and microphone for responding to notifications.
- No compromises on what you love about Pebble: up to 7 days of battery life, water resistance and customizability.
- Pebble Time is fully compatible with all 6,500+ existing Pebble apps and watchfaces.
- Three colors available exclusively on Kickstarter. Pebble Time starts shipping in May.
- Extra special engraving for our original Kickstarter backers who support us again
And here's the official list of technical specs for the ‘Pebble Time':
- Always-on, daylight readable screen with a great backlight
- Up to 7-day battery life
- Use any standard 22mm watch band
- Water resistant and durable
- Tactile buttons for easy eyes-free clicking
- Silent vibrating alarms
- Step tracking with Misfit and Jawbone
- Language and international character support (Chinese coming soon!)
- Timeline will work on Pebble and Pebble Steel (exact date TBD)
- Works with iOS 8 on iPhone 4s and above
- Works with all Android 4.0+ phones including Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, Google, Motorola, Xiaomi and more
If you're looking to back ‘Pebble Time' you'll be able to score some sweet discounts on single or bulk units although the discounted units will likely sell out within the next few days:
- $159 – Early Bird: One Pebble Time watch in any of the 3 colors
- $179 – One Pebble Time watch in any of the 3 colors
- $338 – Two Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors
- $845 – Five Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors
- $1690 – 10 Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors
- $5,000 – 30 Pebble Time watches, 10 of each color
The full retail price for Pebble Time will be $199, so you're getting a deal by supporting us on Kickstarter. We will not be selling Pebble Time in retail until all Kickstarter rewards have been shipped. Keep in mind, those on a budget can still snag the original Pebble for under $100 .
As a graduate of the University of Massachusetts and our Managing Editor, Colt loves testing out the newest tech products/services. His goal is to help better educate other consumers to ensure the most satisfying purchases decisions on consumer electronics and services. When he is not working on creating new content, Colt enjoys spending time with his two Australian Shepherds, Mia and Zoey.