There was a large variety of wearable technology present at last year's CES conference, but the FiLiP was a product that stuck out to me in regards to its originality. Their concept is simple, offer a kid-friendly smartwatch that functions as a hub for parental communication and location tracking yet fun enough for a kid to want to wear everyday.
The FiLiP is targeted at children under the age of 11, an ideal audience that is not yet old enough for the responsibility of their own smartphone yet. This leaves room for a product like the FiLiP, who offers a practical way of keeping youth connected with their parents by way of a fun smartwatch.
Here's a few examples of what is possible with the FiLiP 2:
- Voice calling – send and receive calls from up to five programmable phone numbers
- Smart locator – identify your child's location via GSM, GPS, and Wi-Fi coordinates
- Intelligent emergency – holding down the red button for three seconds enables emergency mode that automatically calls primary contacts, records audio from the smartwatch, and send real-time location notifications until the emergency mode is disabled
- Safezones – programmable areas that will notify parents when their children have entered (school, home, daycare, etc.)
- Time and date – standard time and date tracking like you'd expect from any smartwatch
- One-way text messaging – the FiLiP can receive text messages although no outbound text messages are possible
The FiLiP 2 retails for $149.99, but it currently running a $50 off promotion for the holiday season. AT&T is the only service provider currently offered for the device and it'll run subscribers $10/month for service with no annual contracts. Those interested in more information about the FiLiP 2 can visit the AT&T product page.
As a graduate of the University of Massachusetts and our Managing Editor, Colt loves testing out the newest tech products/services. His goal is to help better educate other consumers to ensure the most satisfying purchases decisions on consumer electronics and services. When he is not working on creating new content, Colt enjoys spending time with his two Australian Shepherds, Mia and Zoey.