Yesterday, Samsung held their press event which unveiled their newest flagship handsets. After last year's Note 7 disaster, the launch of its next model is a crucial time for the company to prove that they can maintain consumer's trust and satisfaction.
The new handsets are the successors to last year's popular S7 and S7 Edge models. This time around, they are called the S8 and S8+ which utilize near identical specs with the S8+ offering a larger footprint and battery capacity.
S8 & S8+ Technical Specifications
- Color Options: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver & Maple Gold
- 5.8-inch display (S8), 6.2-inch display (S8+)
- Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display (2960×1440)
- 3000 mAh (S8) 3500 mAh (S8+) with fast charging, wireless charging and battery saving modes
- Fingerprint reader on rear, no physical home button (digital only)
- 8MP AF front camera with f/1.7 aperture
- Dual pixel 12MP rear camera with AF, OIS and f/1.7 (supports HDR, RAW, slo-mo & 4K)
- Octa-core 2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad 64-bit, 10nm processor
- 4GB of RAM (LPDDR4)
- 64GB UFS 2.1
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/c/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM
- LTE Cat.16, Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, NFC, GPS, ANT+
- MicroSD slot up to 256GB
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- Proprietary ‘Bixby' AI assistant (Google's Assistant can still be used)
- Comes bundled with AKG earbuds (worth $99)
S8 & S8+ Pricing & Release Date
With the formal S8 and S8+ announcement yesterday, Samsung has opened up pre-orders as of today through major carriers. At launch, both the S8 and S8+ will be offered in Orchid Gray, Artic Silver and Midnight Black.
Pricing starts at $750 for the S8 and $850 for the S8+. Besides buying the device up-front, most carriers are offering a payment plan or device upgrade option with some offers allowing you to trade-in an old smartphone for a discounted rate (terms apply).