Interface & Design
- The iOS design has new icons, layouts, and features that give off a more clean appearance
- They have removed unnecessary bars and buttons to create an easier to use interface that is free from distractions
- The interface now includes multi-dimensions, where functional layers will be used to create depth and hierarchy among your current apps in use
- Each interaction is now dynamic and animations are cinematic
- Innovative new looks for popular apps like weather which will present you with real-time animations according to the weather in your area of choice (hail, rain, fog, snow, lightning, sun, etc.)
- Activated by swiping up from the bottom of your screen
- Gives you the ability to access useful shortcuts on the go such as turning on or off Airplane mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Do Not Disturb
- You can also lock your screen’s orientation or raise/lower your brightness settings
- Gives you easy access to your current library of songs including the ability to /start/pause/skip the current song
- Provides the ability to quickly connect to AirPlay-enabled devices
- Provides one-click access to a flashlight (constant camera flash), timer, calculator, or camera
- Provides a run down of all the new mail, missed calls and texts, active to-dos, app push notifications, and more
- It can notify you of things like a friend or family’s upcoming birthday, weather updates, and traffic conditions
- Notification center is now available for access from any screen including the Lock screen by a simple swipe down on the screen
- Notifications are split into 3 tabs: today, all, and missed
- Cleaner and easier way to access your apps currently running in the background
- Still accessed via pressing the ‘Home’ button twice, but gives a full preview screen on what the app is currently showing
- Quitting an app can be done simply by swiping it up and out of the preview
- Has smart functionality that will ready your most popular apps during times they are used most. An example would be if you check CNN in the morning before work at 7:30 AM, your iOS device will have the CNN app queued and ready for you at this time.
- Camera app has been completely redesigned
- Contains one interface where you swipe between tabs containing: video, photo, square (cropped like Instagram), or panoramic camera modes
- Filters have been added to give users the ability to tweak the look and colors of their still or square photos without needing a 3rd party app
- Filters can be added or removed at any time
- Photos can now be broken down into Collections, Moments, or Years
- Each of these three categories are smart groupings of your photos and video automatically while utilizing the time and place they were taken
- A year will show you all the photos you took during the particular year
- A collection will show you a distinct event such as your family trip to Disney World
- A moment is a subset of a collection and showcasing a distinct moment of your collection such as videos taken in Animal Kingdom or photos taken in front of the Universal Studios sign.
- This automatic categorization helps you find your photos and video quickly on the fly without the mess of sorting through hundreds of randomly ordered photos
- iCloud Photo Sharing also lets you share your favorite moments with friends or family by simply creating a shared photo stream. These friends can post photos, videos, or comments to your stream which syncs to all contributor’s iOS devices.
- There is an ‘Activity’ tab that breaks down all the latest updates from your shared streams in one single feed
- Gives you the ability to quickly share a photo, video, contact, or app file via an integrated share button
- Utilizes your contacts for choosing who to share with
- Performs the transfer via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with no setup requires
- Each transfer is encrypted for maximum security
- Complete re-designed interface
- Unified address bar & search field (similar to Chrome)
- Tab view has new design and allows unlimited tabs unlike the previous version which limited the number of tabs
- Bookmarking is simpler than ever
- Viewing article in your reading list is better than ever since finishing one article will seamlessly scroll you into the next on the list
- Shared Links gives you the ability to quickly view all the recent URLs posted from people you follow on Twitter or LinkedIn
- Integrated with iCloud Keychain – can save all your account names, passwords, and credit card information for future use. It is highly encrypted and secure and will run on all iOS 7 devices as well as Macs running OS X Mavericks.
- Password Generator – you can enable a password generator to automatically generate a unique password and store it for future use.
- Siri’s interface is revamped and sound waves move across the bottom of your screen to signify she is listening to your voice
- Siri can now answer more complicated questions by referencing Wikipedia, Twitter, and Bing, providing results right in the Siri interface
- Siri now understands commands such as “play my last voicemail” or “increase my screen’s brightness”
- Now includes categories based on age and one specifically grouped for kids’ apps
- The ‘Apps Near Me’ tab allows you to find applications that are based on places or locations near you for example: if you were in Washington DC you might see the the ‘Smithsonian Mobile’ app as you are close in proximity to their locations.
- App updates will no longer require you to initiate them and will update on their own when they see a high power, low activity state in order to keep from interrupting the use of your device
Find My iPhone
- Updated to include a lock screen message that will display a message with your phone number on the Lock screen so whoever finds the device can get in contact with you. This function is possible even after a remote wipe.
- If the person who finds it does not have an intention of giving it back, they will have trouble reactivating it or selling it thanks to the new security feature. This requires whoever finds the phone to enter in your valid Apple ID and password combination in order to have the iPhone become activated. Without this password the iPhone becomes an expensive paper weight.
iOS in the Car
- iOS 7 will be able to work with select in-dash systems from popular car manufacturers
- You will be able access phone calls, music, text messages, directions, and more straight through your car’s console utilizing your iOS device.
- Siri will also work through your dashboard’s system with compatible vehicle models.
- iOS 7 is available immediately for developers in a ‘beta’ stage
- The final release will be available for all sometime this Fall.