One of the big rumors over the past few months has been around Amazon’s involvement into a new hardware project that would let the e-commerce giant enter the smartphone market.
A press event was held yesterday in which Amazon officially announced the Fire Phone, a brand new, feature-packed smartphone that has the potential to compete with the iPhone and Galaxy S series.
NextGEN gallery is not installed/inactive!
For technical specs, the Amazon Fire Phone harnesses the following:
- 4.7-inch Gorilla Glass display with 720p HD resolution with a “circular polarizer” to combat glare
- Same dimensions as a Moto X, utilizes a rubberized frame and aluminum buttons
- Quad-core 2.2GHz processor
- Adreno 330GPU
- 2GB of RAM
- Runs on Fire OS 3.5 (an Android OS customized for Amazon)
- 13MP rear-facing camera with an f/2.0 lens equipped with image stabilization and 1080P video capabilities
- Global connectivity over nine bands of LTE, quad-band GSM, five bands of UMTS
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi support, Wi-Fi channel bonding, NFC, & Bluetooth
- Battery life said to last 285 hours of standby time, 22 hours of talk, 65 hours of audio playing, and 11 hours of video playback
- Dual stereo speakers with support for virtual Dolby Digital Plus surround sound
- 32GB of storage comes standard with 64GB model also offered
- Comes with the same widely advertised ‘Mayday’ button found on their Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- New FireFly technology allows you to utilize the Fire Phone’s camera to recognize books, DVDs, phone numbers, games, CDs bar codes, URLs, and as well as utilize the microphone to capture songs (like Shazam). From there you can instantly purchase related products or items through Amazon with only a few clicks. It is said to boast a catalog of over 100 million recognizable items.
- Dynamic Perspective technology utilizes four camera each with a 120-degree field of view to present the screen with a 3D interface no matter what angle you look at it.
- Exclusive to AT&T at a launch price of $199 for the 32GB model (new 2 year commitment required) or $299 for the 64GB model (new 2 year commitment required). You can also buy the phone outright without a contract for $649 and $749 respectively.
Amazon has begun offering pre-orders for the device as of today and those who act quick enough will be given a free year of their popular Prime service ($99 value). The Fire Phone will not begin shipping until July 25th.